The Old City of Jerusalem spreads over 0.9 square km expanse area that lies within the modern city of Jerusalem. Up to the 1860’s, this specific area comprised of the entire Jerusalem city. At present, the Old City contains numerous religiously important sites that are inclusive of the Temple Mount and its Western Wall for Jews, the Dome of Rock and al-Aqsa Mosque for Muslims and the Church of the Holy Sepulchre for Christians.
Jordan wished for the Old City of Jerusalem to be taken in the UNESCO World Heritage Site List in the year 1980. It was in the year 1981 that it was added to Heritage Sites List by UNESCO and List of World Heritage Sites in Danger in 1982.
Previous to conquest of Jerusalem by King David in the 11th century, the city was the abode of the Jebusites. In accordance, to The Holy Bible, the city was greatly fortified comprising of a strong city wall. The city reigned by King David, in the present day would comprise of the area southwest of the Old City walls, beyond the Dung Gate.
The existing walls of the Old City were constructed by Suleiman the Magnificent in the year 1538. The walls extend for around 4.5 km, and ascend to a height of 5–15 m, with a depth of 3 m. On the whole, the Old City walls include 43 surveillance towers and 11 gates (7 of which are opened at present).